Saturday, April 01, 2006

sometimes there is no point in questioning....

I am a seven year old girl.
I have been living on the streets of New Delhi... the capital of India.
That makes me superior to the street dwellers of less developed cities!
For me, Dilli is a city of rich people who drive big cars and live in bunglows
and poor people who live on the streets ... like me!

Everyday I meet tons of different kinds of people
generous ones ... who give me money
seths and sahebs who have abundance of wealth but frown with disgust at my sight.
Good citizens .... who litter on the road and provide us little feasts, occasionally.
Active didis who keep telling us that we have rights
we should learn ... play with other kids
The most silly thing they say is that we should not beg on the streets...
I tell you this city is full of crazy people!!

Once she told me... that this is not my destiny!
I don't deserve it.
I should raise my voice and question everything wrong.. everything unjust.

Lets begin
I question my parents who abandoned me on the station platform
wrapped in a newspaper
burnt my legs
only because I was a girl!

I question that generous man who picked me up from there
raped me.. several times
and left me on the streets to perish.

I question god who created a stomach and hunger
but never provides with any food.

I question the police wallas
who always hit me and ask me to give them money.. when I dont have any for myself.

I question humanity, the human rights commission, the NGOs
who keep talking about us in A.C. rooms
and never do anything real.
There maybe a few exceptions but they are very few and we are many.

I question... because I have learned to question
but i dont think anybody has learned to answer me....

7 comments:

Inkblot said...

yes, that is truly darkness and if we can't do anything to light it up, we shouldn't be here.

nice writing

Blue Athena said...

Well, this is quite a post.

Sad that so many of us don't even have the basics in place. Even sadder that though many attempts have been provided to quite a few street children, they keep coming back to this life.

Manasi said...

inkblot: thanks! but I feel things can be done..

blue: its just very disheartening to see children of your age or younger than you ... doing things they shouldn't be and the worse ... they have no choice but to accept this life as their destiny.

Ashish Gupta said...

:O

such a vivid portrayal of . .. ahem .. . human apathy :| *tight lipped*

..... said...

:|

we all read know this read such articles millions of time in newspaper magzine... but how many ppl really WAKE UP?? few and those too quit sooner or later..

CAN WE FIGHT AGAINT IT..
HOW??

Nero said...

That was very well written!

[Ever considered renaming your blog to e(x)ternal simplicity ? ]

Abhishek Upadhyay said...

So what do you suggest?
What should be done bout this?