Monday, January 02, 2006

Good to clean your house (once in a while!!)

Today i cleaned my study, actually... let me be honest, my dad cleaned it . My job was to just glance over all the "rubbish", (as mom calls it) and throw away most of it. Yeah! those were mom's words, "you and your dad have a habit of collecting junk. THROW EVERYTHING YOU DON'T NEED" The junk , the rubbish included scraps of paper, my new year resolutions, old pictures, beads( i don't remember when i collected them), poems (incomplete ones... most of them..because at one point of time I always compared them with others (which were undoubtedly better than mine) and left them incomplete ..... thinking i can come up with something better ... something which people will appreciate.... huh! nonsense!!. Other things like... my slam book, its strange but there was a question in my slam book which said," name the boy/girl you love" and all my friends struck out the word "love" and wrote "like". One of them even wrote i love girls but i dont love any boy... this was in a junior class offcourse! but its funny!!at that age loving a boy meant only one thing .... (and now????)

There were so many things i had written .. just like that on pieces of paper... one liners (by someone else offcourse) few lines of hindi film songs.

My time tables, that i never followed... and still don't. But earlier the time tables used to be elaborate, very descriptive... i had a certain time assigned for everything. Even how many minutes i will talk on the phone and for how long will i read a book. Maybe the only exception was, at what time I'll go to the loo. (This reminded me of the scene in Dil Chahta Hai).

No mom! All this is not junk. these are the only moments that will remind me of the journey i have made so far. How much i have changed. How much is still the same. All my play brochures,all the unsuccessful attempts I made to actually write a play.... reminds of my love for theatre. I had started thinking like any other "responsible adult" .... that i should just study hard.. get a job as a counselor or something in a private firm.. mint money ... and avail all the luxuries of life. But i can't let go of the fun I have when we work together as a team, trying to put up a play, discussing different characters and how you empathise with them. I don't care for chinese or thai... even that aloo samosa with hot tea is great when you have interesting people around you. Adding spice with their amazing experiences.

I didnt just clean the study today... I brushed off the dust that had settled on my childhood dreams and fantacies which still await an entrance into the world of.. reality.


2 comments:

Innocent Bullet said...

Hey ES,

I have such a problem when I am responding to blog entries. I am so used to various writers' forums that I start evaluating pieces critically. Please forgive this habit of mine.

This is a wonderful piece. Straight from the heart with such honesty and sincerity. If theatre interests you then do come to watch my plays or even participate in future plays we intend to produce. :-)

Cheers

Dan

Scoot said...

I know what you mean...I just love my crap to.And guess what...I just returned from a two month trip and am trying to clean the mess.BUt all that I have been able to do so far was to sleep on my bed.There is so much work...am looking at the key board and then the junk on the floor...Oh man!wish my dad were here to help me with my mess.